Rangeley Family Tree
Individual page for
Joseph A HADFIELD
Father John HADFIELD
Mother Ellen RANGELEY
Born 16 October 1816
Christened 24 November 1816 St Matthew's Church Hayfield Derbys
Died 09 March 1900 Waukesha USA
Buried (Date unknown)
Occupation (with source date)Owner Manager of Hadfield Co Stone and Lime Quarries (?)
Address (with source date)Prarieville Waukesha Wisconsin USA (1842)


Miscellaneous:

The Waukesha Daily Freeman 16 May 1934. "Lure of Prarieville Brings Englishman Here.":

"The following article is an interesting account of how the wonders of Wisconsin lured one of Waukesha's earliest pioneers to settle here. The article is especially fitting at this time when Waukesha is in observance of its 100th anniversary this year.

Joseph Hadfield, one of the pioneers of Prarieville, located here in 1842. He was a native of Chinley, Derbyshire, England, born October 16, 1816. His parents, John and Ellen Hadfield, were natives of the same shire, his mother being a daughter of Aaron Rangely.

His childhood was spent within a few miles of the great quarries of England and his attachment for them was never lost. While a young man he travelled extensively, and broadened his knowledge in the ways of the world. Like most men who obtain eminence in any sphere of activity, Joseph Hadfield was the architect of his own fortune.

His first venture was as a tradesman in a manufacturing district in England and he carried on a "strictly cash" business. Just as the store had become prosperous, a brother of Mr. Hadfield returned from America and told him of the wonders of Wisconsin. Mr. Hadfield, with the spirit of a pioneer, at once disposed of his stock of goods and came to America, bringing with him his wife, formerly Miss Harriet Jackson, also of Derbyshire. When he reached Wisconsin, he heard of Prarieville, liked the name, and because of that more than anything else perhaps, settled here. His wife died two years later, leaving one son, Joseph J. Hadfield, who became one of the prominent business men of Waukesha County.

In 1845 Mr. Hadfield was married again, the lady of his choice being Miss Sarah Harrison. Of this union there were ten children. Of these, John G., Sarah J.(Mrs. Elvin Aitkin), Isaac R., Laura Belle (Mrs. A. J. Hodgson), and Oscar W. spent most of their lives in Waukesha. George A., Abraham H., Albert W., and Charles H. spent the earlier part of their lives in Waukesha, and later moved to Chicago. Edwin H. spent the earlier part of his life in Minneapolis and St. Paul, and later moved to Waukesha.

Upon coming to Waukesha, Mr. Hadfield established himself in the shoe business, which he carried on until 1886, at which time, together with his sons, he formed the Hadfield company. The company purchased and operated several stone quarries, and developed this industry into one of the largest of its kind in the state. During 1880 the company shipped as many as 3,000 carloads of stone and lime a year from the quarry which is now the property of the Waukesha Lime and Stone Co. north of the city. A similar quantity was shipped from the quarries at Lannon, also controlled by the Hadfield Co. Much crushed stone was sold for use in road construction before the days of concrete paving, and the lime kilns had a capacity of 1200 barrels per day. Between these two quarries the company operated a railroad, connecting with the St. Paul, the Northwestern, and the Wisconsin Central, which gave them good shipping facilities.

In addition to the stone quarries, the Hadfield company operated a brickyard in Bay View, Milwaukee, and opened up five additions or subdivisions which they platted and sold. These were the White Rock, the Highland Park, and Hadfield additions Numbers one, two, and three.

Many Waukesha buildings and homes still in use today, were built of stone from the Hadfield Quarries, among them the Methodist church, the Fountain House (now the Metropolitan Church building), and the older Industrial school buildings."

www.000webhost.com